[spambayes-dev] FW: [Spambayes] Problem with Spam bayes installation on Windows 2000pc

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:30:45 EST 2003

tony.flury at bt.com wrote:
> The plug fails to initialise - I attach the Logs files from 4
> attempts - all of which mention permissions problems
>
>  <<spambayes1.log>>  <<spambayes3.log>>  <<spambayes2.log>>
> <<spambayes1.log>>
>
> Any assistance would be useful

And in reply to a request for more info...

tony.flury at bt.com wrote:
> Outlook is 2002 (SP-2)
>
> This is a new install into Outlook - outlook is running fine. Outlook
> was installed clean onto this PC.
>
> Yes - the user I run under is not the Admin user.

This user appears to be experiencing a scenario that I had some concerns
about as I was testing the py2exe-based installer.  It would be great if
someone knowledgeable in this area could look into it.  Unfortunately,
that probably == Mark, as if he doesn't have enough to do. <wink>

Here's what I think is happening.  When we build the binary installer,
we have win32com pre-generate the typelib wrappers (gen_py cache) and
put them into the binary.  We do this using the Outlook 2000 typelib,
which has a typelib version of 9.0.

At runtime, win32com checks to see if that same typelib version is
installed.  If not, it checks to see if it can substitute a typelib with
a higher minor version number.  Outlook 2002 (XP) has a typelib version
of 9.1, and Outlook 2003 is version 9.2.

In this case, win32com does not find the version 9.0 typelib but it does
find the 9.1 typelib.  In order to substitute the newer typelib,
win32com attempts to regenerate the wrappers because they don't exist in
the binary, and it attempts to write them into the app installation
directory.  If the user doesn't have admin privileges then this fails.

Any thoughts on how we should handle this?  Should we include multiple
versions of the typelib wrappers?  Can we force win32com to output to
the user's temp directory?  Am I maybe just missing the root cause
entirely?

--
Kenny Pitt