[spambayes-dev] Running Spambayes POP3 Proxy as a daemon

Dave Handley dah at cad0.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 11 08:32:26 EDT 2003

I've just started using Spambayes and because I'm an Outlook Express user, I
was forced to use the route of setting up a POP3 proxy.  I decided to do
this on my Linux box (running Redhat Linux), but found the lack of a daemon
to run a little frustrating.  Overall setting up sb_server.py was quick and
easy and it seems to be working well, but I ended up writing my own script
to run the system as a daemon.  I'm happy to submit this for possible
inclusion in the source package.  The script isn't perfect and I'm sure it
can be improved.  It is based on the dhcpd script and as such is GPL'd.
Installation notes are:

1)    The script should go in /etc/rc.d/init.d/
2)    The standard start/stop links should be put in the appropriate
runlevel (in my case runlevel 5)
3)    The script requires that /etc/spamd/ is created - this will be where
the data files are stored.  It may make sense in future versions of
sb_server.py to allow the configuration of the run directory.
4)    Usage is /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamd start|stop|restart|status

Dave Handley