[spambayes-dev] Releases

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Oct 21 07:26:00 EDT 2003

> I'm happy to do 'own' doing the readme and what testing I
> can, which is
> pretty much just here on a WinXP system and my fiance's
> system with Win9x.
> As you say, hopefully the only new problems will be installer
> ones, anyway.

As I said though, I'm a little worried that it isn't ready for the masses.
A "step-by-step" guide customized for the top 3 or so mailers would be an
excellent start, and provide a framework for others to contribute their
mailer.  Actually, the best test would be to try and ask your fiance to
*configure* the tool after installation :)

> I would like it to be from the 1.0 branch, since that seems relatively
> stable, rather than the main one, in which I made lots of interface
> improvements that probably few people have tried.  I can't
> see any reason
> why the Outlook2000 directory couldn't be from cvs main and
> the rest from
> the 1.0 branch.

We do share a few things, but they are minor so testing will nail them.
OTOH, I'm happy to migrate Outlook to the 1.0 branch, and follow the same
process there.  In fact, this makes the most sense - stick to the 1.0
branch, and make one more preliminary source-only release.  As we get our
act into gear WRT the binary, we can then make a source+binary release from
the same branch.  About the only thing I am itching to do with Outlook is
better, persistent stats.

> > In a nutshell, I don't want to "own" this, so I'm unlikely to
> > actually release it.  If no one steps up, it is likely I will
> > do an Outlook-only binary release next.  If an owner did step
> > up, I'd coordinate a combined binary release with them
> > (assuming they considered it a good idea :)
>
> Unless someone else steps up, then I'm willing to do this

Fat chance of someone else stepping up now <wink>

> (I'll have more
> time over the summer to answer support email anyway).
> However, I'm kinda
> away from next week, and completely (i.e. no computer access
> at all) away
> from 01/11 to 14/11 (wedding, honeymoon :),

Woo hoo - congrats!  I hope you are having a decent bucks turn!

> If you do an Outlook-only binary, would it still be the new
> py2exe-everything-in-a-zip style one?

yep, if for no better reason than changing may fix some of the
"DllRegisterServer" errors (or failing that, create a rash of different
ones!)

I'm pretty flat out at the moment, but will be able to find time to help
with this.  (in fact, busy with some win32all and py2exe changes, which
while not directly visible here may come in useful - full-blown shell
extension in Python anyone? <wink>

Mark.