[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] Upgrading python

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Oct 22 20:59:53 EDT 2003

[Moved from spambayes, since this is really all dev talk now]

[Skip]
> I think we can probably fix this - let the format of the file
> tell us how to open preexisting databases instead of blindly
> assuming a static ordered list of preferred modules.  Tony, I
> think you've worked on the storage code the most recently.
> Does a simple fix leap out at you?

This meshes pretty well with something else I've been wanting to fix (which
I think you first identified) - if you change from a dbm to pickle (or vice
versa, probably) via the web ui, you get a traceback, because you have to
move the old file out of the way.

I like your idea - I think this is what we should do - use the format option
for the initial creation, and then after that figure out ourselves if the
database is a pickle/bsddb/gbm/whatever, and open it appropriately.  If it's
not the same as the option, then we could automatically convert it.

I'm not sure this classifies as a simple fix, but it does sound like a good
one ;)  I doubt I'll be able to do anything on this this week (unless my
real work goes very well), but I could probably find time next week.  OTOH,
you probably know more about the various storage options than I do...
<hint>.

=Tony Meyer