[spambayes-dev] Regarding Whitelisting

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Sep 2 11:27:45 EDT 2003

    >> The users need it. I can know with certainty that the mail from my
    >> potential employer will end up in my inbox and not get lost with spam
    >> or overlooked in spam box, eventually costing me my job. There is
    >> comfort in knowing that the mail will show up in my inbox and I won't
    >> end up missing something important.

    Tony> You say this without any evidence, of course.  If you can trust a
    Tony> whitelist, why can't you trust the classifier?

I was thinking about this last week.  The problem is that a job offer from a
potential employer is a fairly rare sort of email.  Consequently, it's quite
possible there is not enough evidence in the message to tip it toward the
ham side.  If the employer uses a lot of terms which appear spammy, it might
not even make it to "unsure".

Still, a potential employer's email address can be forged just as easily as
any other address.

Skip