[spambayes-dev] Regarding Whitelisting

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Wed Sep 3 13:57:36 EDT 2003

> I was thinking about this last week.  The problem is that a
> job offer from a potential employer is a fairly rare sort of
> email.  Consequently, it's quite possible there is not enough
> evidence in the message to tip it toward the ham side.  If
> the employer uses a lot of terms which appear spammy, it
> might not even make it to "unsure".

I would have thought that potential employers would use lots of words
that are hammy to me, since the job is probably doing something that I
have corresponded with people about in the past.  It's only anecdotal
(and I've only had 4 or 5 since using spambayes), but this is how job
offers to me have worked (and I've never seen spambayes classify them
over 0.0 (rounded), even when I'd never heard of the person before).

To me, it seems that if you know enough about the potential employer to
whitelist them, then you know enough to get your mail program to ensure
that the mail isn't filtered by spambayes or anything else.  If you
don't know what much, then whitelisting isn't going to help, either.

=Tony Meyer