[spambayes-dev] trivial speedup?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Sep 3 18:15:13 EDT 2003

I didn't want to simply check this in in case we're in feature freeze until
after 1.0a6 is released.  I found that when doing a full retrain (about 20k
messages, so it does run for awhile) if I emitted the msg count every ten
messages instead of every message that hammie.py's CPU utilization went from
around 75% to 85% and the Window Manager's utilization when from about 5% to
2%.  That suggests to me that hammie.py is waiting around for i/o to
complete a fair amount of the time.

I'm also playing around with temporarily substituting a dict for the shelve
object when training from scratch as well, though the verdict's still out on
that.

Skip