[spambayes-dev] Re: [Spambayes-checkins] website faq.txt, 1.39, 1.40

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri Sep 5 23:04:16 EDT 2003

[Tony]
> ...the 'access denied' problem that a lot of pop3proxy people
> seem to run into.  We might want to special case this error and
> tell them what to do instead, or maybe even just automatically
> try a range of different ports.

[Skip]
> How about starting at 8880 and incrementing the port number until a
> free one is found, then displaying that port?  The only situation
> where you'd die with an error is if the user specified an explicit
> port which was in use.

[Kenny]
> Only potential problem I see is that changing the port number dynamically
> instead of under user control will make it difficult for the user to create
> a Favorites shortcut to access the user interface.  For the tray app, this
> problem could probably be solved by having the proxy share the port number
> used in some way that is accessible to the tray app.

I think we should prevent the thing from starting up if the configureed
port (or the default port if none is configured) is already in use.  We
should give an error saying that the port is already in use, and how to
configure a different one.  Automatically choosing a different one is too
much like black magic IMHO.  The tray app will need to know which port to
connect to, either by directly configuring the port number or by following
the same rules to find the ini file.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com