[spambayes-dev] Nigerian mystery

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Fri Sep 5 17:58:08 EDT 2003

Greetings:

Okay, I now have everything cleaned out, and brand new fresh 1.0a5 files
installed properly and running. I just got my second Nigerian scam of the
day, still rated solidly as Ham.

I started looking over the thing and figured that Nigeria, petroleum, and
million had to all be pretty spammy terms for me, so I looked at the clues
for this message. Unless I'm losing what little mind I have left, those
three terms are not listed in the clues. (And Million appears five times,
petroleum and Nigeria twice each.)

I don't see any sign of errors anywhere.

Below I'm pasting first the source and then the clues.

I just used the nifty new feature for looking up those words, and to my
great surprise, those three terms really aren't all that spammy (or hammy,
either) for me. Am I cursed forever because the number of Nigerian spams we
discuss here is making this obvious clue very neutral? This is exactly the
kind of distinction that has been associated with "Bayesian" analysis back
to the original Graham column, that it could pass actual medical messages
with penis in the body to a urologist while stopping the
larger/longer/harder crap to the same inbox.

Van