[spambayes-dev] Does this seem too brutal?

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Sep 9 15:30:01 EDT 2003

[Skip]
> Here's a crude hack to setup.py which complains if the user tries
> installing while the old files are still in place.  Does it seem to
> extreme to error out of the install or should it print the warnings
> and continue the install?

[Richie]
> I think it's extreme if the user has to go and delete the
> scripts himself, but how about shipping a script that prints
> a list of all the offending files and offers to delete them?
> Either setup.py could quit with a message suggesting you run
> the deletion script, or setup.py itself could give the
> message and do the deletion.

I googled about and there was discussion back in 2001 about an uninstall
option for distutils, but nothing seems to have eventuated.

What about the attached diff?  It's basically Skip's patch but also with
Richie's suggestion.  (And also without the hack part, based on the
c.l.p. response to Skip's query).

=Tony Meyer