[spambayes-dev] FW: Web Site

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Sep 10 09:58:57 EDT 2003

    Tony> I'm completely on the fence with this one, but I imagine that
    Tony> other developers aren't, so a discussion on spambayes-dev is the
    Tony> best idea.  Do people:
    Tony>   (a) like the current design
    Tony>   (b) want a new design, but not radically different
    Tony>   (c) want a radically different design?

I think it would be fine it we tracked the Python site's design with slight
modifications.  Note that the ht2html used for the Python site now groks
ReST, so many of the pages are no longer written in HTML directly.  Take a
look at

    http://www.python.org/idle/index.ht
    http://www.python.org/doc/faq/general.ht

for a couple examples.

    Tony> I would suggest, though, that anyone interested in doing a
    Tony> redesign take a look at the existing tools.  The website isn't
    Tony> done with html, it's done with .ht files (plus a text file for the
    Tony> faq), and converted to html via ht2html.  I would imagine that a
    Tony> Python program would be preferable to a PHP one.

You got that right.  I suspect to test out a PHP design locally would
require me to install PHP and reconfigure my Apache.  It would be different
if I used PHP for anything else, but I don't.

Skip