[spambayes-dev] Python programming for outlook plugins & spambayesuninstall

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Sep 11 16:28:57 EDT 2003

> I installed spambayes from source. It created the plugin just fine.
> However, there is now way to remove the plugin. Can anyone shed some
> light on this.

Run "addin.py --unregister".  Note that the toolbar items are not removed -
we don't really know how to do that at uninstall time.

> 2:
> I'm planning to write my own spam filter. This filter will
> also feature
> a plugin to outlook. I'm rather new to programming plugins
> for outlook.
> Does anyone have any good reading they can recommend? I found some
> reading which talks about using VB6. it seems you need CDO
> and there are
> tons of incompatibilities between the different versions of
> outlook. It
> seems python would be a cleaner way to go.

Nope - just the various samples all over the web.  Note that using CDO will
be a problem as newer outlooks will force the security dialogs.  You need to
either stick to the Outlook object model, or use extended MAPI.  Note VB
can't use extended MAPI, so a tool named "Redemption" is very useful (but
Python does support it, so we don't need that tool)

> The spam filter I'm trying to write is a thesis project that will
> feature server-side or centralized spam filtering and a mechanism for
> users to report spam (for learning) by means of a network where their
> credentials are authorized by trust metrics (see raph
> levien's work for
> more details).

I think some systems like that already exist, but I assume you have already
found them :)

Mark.