[spambayes-dev] Test windows binaries available

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sun Sep 14 21:55:38 EDT 2003

Just for the sake of getting *anything* out for comment, I have put up
http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/downloads/SpamBayes_TestBinaries.zi

This is *not* intended for users (but it should be close!)

This zip file contains a single directory with the following programs:
* pop3proxy_tray.exe - a Windows GUI program
* sb_server.exe - a console program (so presumably for "test" purposes only)
* pop3proxy_service.exe - A Windows service - "-install" to install it
* spambayes_addin.dll.dll - The Outlook addin (the extra ".dll" is also a
mistake, but it still works :)  Use "regsvr32.exe" to register.
* outlook_dump_props.exe - The Outlook "dump_props.py" program, which could
be useful to have in the field for bug diagnosis.
* manager.exe - created from Outlook's "manager.py", and I forgot to remove
it - was just for test purposes.

All that for a 2.8Mb .zip :)

Known problems:
* No Outlook docs are installed.
* This is all built from CVS - no smarts have been added for the
"Application Data" directory etc. You will need to move/copy your existing
database and configuration to the directory where you run these executables
from.
* pop3proxy_tray.exe redirects its output similarly to Outlook
(%TEMP%\SpamBayesServer1.log).  The service doesn't redirect - it probably
should.

Features:
* Built using py2exe (see spambayes\windows\py2exe\readme.txt).  To build
the service, you need win32all built from sources (which we hope to fix),
but the rest should build OK.
* pop3proxy_tray.exe has all icon resources built into the executable -
ditto for the bitmap resources used by the Outlook addin.
* All .pyc files are shared in a single "library.zip".  This means a nice
small distribution, new executables are very cheap, and we could even
"patch" simple upgrades by updating the .zip file of an existing
installation!!

It would be good if a few people could suck it and see what happens :)

Mark.