[spambayes-dev] Test windows binaries available

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Mon Sep 15 02:02:26 EDT 2003

> > If I choose "exit spambayes", nothing happens.
> Please see the log file <wink>.

Your recent checkin fixes this (well, in source, so presumably also the
binary).

> How did you try and start it?  "net start pop3proxy"?

No, but if I thought for a bit longer I might have done ;)  Running
"pop3proxy_service" gave me a message saying that it was trying to start
it, so I thought it would do it for me.  "net start pop3proxy" works
fine (as did starting it manually in the windows Services GUI).

> > Speaking of those smarts, to implement this, are we just running a
> > script that sets the appropriate options in the bayescustomize.ini
> > file?
> > And then setting the BAYESCUSTOMIZE envar to the location of that
file?
> > Or is there something more complicated planned?
>
> I've no idea - but presumably we want all programs to use the
> same logic, so a "script" doesn't make much sense.

I meant a setup script, which the installer would run.  It could create
the appropriate bayescustomize file, which tells pop3proxy where to find
everything.  I presume it could also set the BAYESCUSTOMIZE envar to the
location of that file, which would mean that the settings were shared by
all the programs (except Outlook?  If BAYESCUSTOMIZE is set, does the
plug-in load it as well as the default_bayes_customize.ini file?).

If we want to avoid the envar, then I guess we need to modify
pop3proxy_tray and pop3proxy_service to load in the ini from the
appropriate place.

> Further,
> we probably still want some kind of mutex to prevent multiple
> apps accidently starting.  It may make sense to have log
> redirection logic there too.  Someone will have to "just do it" :)

I don't mind having a go at writing this, although:
  1. I only half get how this should be done, so I'll need a lot of
kicking towards the goal.
  2. I won't have time this week, unless other work goes amazingly well.

=Tony Meyer