[spambayes-dev] Test Binary installer

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Fri Sep 19 03:48:33 EDT 2003

> I need a life!

Hopefully the bourbon sufficed ;)

> I created an installer executable for SpamBayes, which
> includes Outlook and the proxy apps.

All looks good here (Eudora, WinXP), except for:
 * The KeyError when checking for the latest version.  Are you sure that
the pyc is from latest cvs?
 * Saving the options still doesn't work correctly (the same ImportError
is generated).  Either this isn't latest cvs, or my fix didn't.
 * The tooltip on the tray app doesn't seem to update.  I doubt this has
anything to do with the installer, though.

Given that stopping SpamBayes takes so long via the tray app (well, here
at least), I wonder if we should indicate that it's doing something.
Either change the tray icon to a 'working' icon, or the cursor.

One other thing is that if I "Save and Shutdown" from the web interface,
the tray app doesn't (know to) update (again, nothing to do with the
installer).  I wonder whether this is just one more thing to consider
when looking at the start/stop/prepare stuff.

> It tries to detect the most appropriate one to use,

This worked nicely for me.

> and warns if you try and install both (although it does let you).

As did this, and the desktop & startup links.

> It is branded as "1.0a6"

Hmmm.  What's your plan for branding the release?  A "1.0a6" installer
will confuse those Outlook people using version 008.1, won't it?  It's
nice that it ties in with the source release (and will probably almost
match it), but it would probably be ok if it was 009.

=Tony Meyer