[spambayes-dev] RE: Network checks

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Sep 21 12:33:27 EDT 2003

At 07:23 PM 9/20/03 -0700, "Sean R. Lynch" <seanl at chaosring.org> wrote:
>I could, but half the reason I want SA is for the network checks, because
>the network checks are something that are specifically not available to a
>learning filter right now.

If you don't mind running mail through both Spambayes and SA, note that you
could configure SB to pay attention to the X-Spam-Status header that
SpamAssassin inserts.  That field contains a list of test names like
NO_REAL_NAME and the like.  If Spambayes tokenizes them, it will
automatically learn which ones are hammy and which are spammy.  Thus,
you'll get the benefit of all of SpamAssassin's rules, with Spambayes'
classifier.

As for the daemonization, you might consider using ReadyExec to write a
daemonized Spambayes.  ReadyExec is a Python library and C helper program
to do the equivalent of SA's spamc/spamd, but is generic for any Python
program.

Basically, to use ReadyExec, you write a "main" function that you'd like to
be called for each invocation of the "client" program.  It will see the
client's sys.argv, stdin, stdout, and stderr.  You run the readyexecd.py
script, telling it a socket to listen on and the name of your "main"
function for it to import.  Then, to run the client, you run 'readyexec
/path/to/socket whateverargs...'.

Voila, instant daemonization.  See http://readyexec.sourceforge.net/ for
details.