[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] Are there plans for a daemonized or compiled versionofSpambayes?

Greg Ward gward at python.net
Mon Sep 22 21:05:14 EDT 2003

On 22 September 2003, Martinez, Michael said:
> Another thing I'm thinking about doing to mitigate the impact on
> resources, is running the hammiefilter in ramdisk.

That's almost certain to be useless.  Real operating systems (such as
Linux) cache disk reads very nicely.

I suspect Skip's suggestion of a lightweight front-end written in C
is more likely to help.

(OTOH, mail.python.org processes 30,000-50,000 messages per day, and a
large percentage of those (40? 50? 60?) make it past the simple junk
filters in Exim's config file and have to be scanned by spambayes.  It's
done with a Python interpreter embedded in Exim, so we save some of the
overhead of starting up Python, but certainly not all.  And
mail.python.org is generally not heavily loaded.  It sagged pretty badly
under the SoBig onslaught a few weeks ago, but has been fairly healthy
since then.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward at python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
"Question authority!"  "Oh yeah?  Says who?"