[spambayes-dev] pop3proxy_service prob

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Sep 23 14:23:41 EDT 2003

I'm going to try and help a Windows guy here get started with pop3proxy
running as a Windows service later today.  I know nothing about Windows
services though, so I thought I'd give it a whirl first.  After installing
SpamBayes, I executed

    c:\Python23\python.exe pop3proxy_service.py install

then went to the Windows (this is on Win2k BTW) Services dialog, changed it
from Manual to Automatic and then started it.

I then visited

    http://localhost:8880/

and went to the configuration page.  I wanted to change from database to
pickle storage, so I clicked the advanced configuration button and then
selected "No" for "Use database for storage".  I then clicked the "Save
Advanced Options" button, but got a 500 "Internal Server Error".

I stopped the service then ran pop3proxy_service.py with the "debug" option
and repeated the sequence.  It gave me this output:

    Debugging service pop3proxy

    as user 'Administrator', using config file 'C:\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator\Application
    Data\SpamBayes\Proxy\bayescustomize.ini'.

     User interface url is http://localhost:8880/

    <spambayes.Dibbler._HTTPHandler connected at 0x12e7fd0>
    (socket.error:(10054, 'Connection reset by peer')
    [c:\python23\lib\asynchat.py|initiate_send|218]
    [c:\python23\lib\asyncore.py|send|334])

Is there a problem switching from database to pickle or have I encountered
some other problem?  I can see where you might have a problem switching from
database to pickle without changing the name of the storage file.
Unfortunately, you can't change the storage file name from the Advanced
Configuration page.

Skip