[spambayes-dev] Re: [Python-Dev] 2.3.1 is (almost) a go

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Sep 24 15:03:38 EDT 2003

Richie Hindle <richie at entrian.com> writes:

> [Anthony]
>> I haven't been following the spambayes lists too closely. Are there
>> concrete problems with bsddb that are cropping up, or just a general
>> wariness of it?
>
> [Tim]
>> Reports of database corruption are common in spambayes.
>
> All these at least:
>
> 807217:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498103&aid=807217&group_id=61702
> 803901:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498104&aid=803901&group_id=61702
> 809291:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498104&aid=809291&group_id=61702
> 788051:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498103&aid=788051&group_id=61702
>
> [Tim]
>> I'm not sure any reports have come from people using the Outlook client
>
> 807217 relates to the Outlook client, but the database in question is the
> 'messageinfo' database, not the main classifier database.
>
> IMHO, this bug is serious enough to prevent us releasing a beta until we
> can sort it out.  788051 says "sounds like it is a bug with bsddb that is
> fixed in db-4.1.25" - what version of bsddb does Python 2.3.1 for Windows
> ship with?

It's mentioned in the PCBuild/readme.txt file:
    Go to Sleepycat's download page:
        http://www.sleepycat.com/download/

    and download version 4.1.25.  The file name is db-4.1.25.NC.zip.
    XXX with or without strong cryptography?  I picked "without".

    Unpack into
        dist\db-4.1.25

and that is what I used to build the installer.
I ran the test-suite on several machines, with mixed results:

win98 - always fails.
win2k - most of the time it works, sometimes it fails.
winXP - I have not seen any failures.

Thomas