[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] error on attempting to export data

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Sep 24 20:37:56 EDT 2003

> [Tony]
> > So does anyone know why some people get this error?  This isn't the
> > first time I've seen it reported.  Basically, they run "python.exe
> > setup.py install" and get a "no such package as spambayes" error.
>
> The only cause I can think of is people managing to unzip the archive
> without restoring the directory structure - I think old versions of...
> Info-ZIP?  PK-Zip?  Can't remember... used to default to
> unpacking all the
> files into the current directory, and you needed to use a switch to
> restore the directory structure.  This is going back a *very*
> long time
> though.

WinZip has a check-box allowing you to keep the structure or not - and it
defaults to how it was set last time.  It also has an "auto overwrite"
checkbox that works the same.  The end result is that I have "done the wrong
thing" accidently a number of times, and suspect that users could too - even
without a warning being generated that they are constantly overwriting (eg)
__init__.py.

So yeah, I suspect that a "flat structure" is the reason.  I guess setup.py
could check this - eg, either "__init__.py" existing next to setup.py, or
the lack of a spambayes directory would be good indications this has
happened.

These-users-need-the-binary <wink> ly,

Mark.