[spambayes-dev] Compatibility with Norton Antivirus

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 12 08:57:29 EDT 2004

Lou Arnold wrote:
> I have installed Norton Anti-Virus (NAV) to secure my incoming email.
> As I understand things, it has a POP3 Proxy that sits between the ISP
> mail server and my MS Outlook 2000.
>
> Q: Will the SpamBayes' POP3 proxy replace or interfere with NAV?

I run NAV 2003 at home, and at least as of that version NAV no longer
operates as a POP3 proxy.  It hooks directly into the network protocol
stack as a "filter" that sees the traffic on the POP3 port before
whatever application is accessing the port.  I simply configure
SpamBayes to talk to my POP3 server and my mail client to talk to
SpamBayes, and NAV filters the mail traffic as SpamBayes reads it from
the POP3 server.

--
Kenny Pitt