[spambayes-dev] Re: Generating SB tokens based upon information on the net

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Aug 5 18:20:56 CEST 2004

At 3:00 PM -0500 2004-08-04, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>  Like many other pieces of software the code is the best documentation you're
>  going to find.  You needn't read and understand it all, however.

	I'm not a programmer.  I haven't done any proper programming in
fifteen years, since I graduated college.  Even if I was a
programmer, I know absolutely nothing about Python.  Therefore, the
source code is pretty much useless to me.

>  What envelope information?  Does it turn up in a message header?  If Postfix
>  adds it to a Received: header, Spambayes probably already takes it into
>  account.

	To the best of my knowledge, none of the black list stuff ever
gets added to any headers, certainly not by postfix.  If you have
postfix look this stuff up in a black list, then it will make binary
decisions based on that, which we don't want.

	We want something that can look this information up on various
black lists, record all those various bits of information, and then
score the message based on the result.  Given the limited capability
to do this sort of thing within postfix, I believe that SpamBayes
would be the best place to do this.

	If you don't want to do this within SpamBayes, then you need to
come up with some other external component that fits as a shim
between postfix and SpamBayes.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755