[spambayes-dev] Re: [Spambayes] WHICH? Magazine PRE-PUBLICATION CHECK: Anti-virus software

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Tue Dec 21 21:39:10 CET 2004

Hello Cecilia,

Thanks for your email to spambayes at python.org regarding SpamBayes.

> Dear Marketing and PR teams

Spambayes is an Open Source project, developed by volunteers.  It has no
marketing or PR teams.  (I'm one of the developers.)

Being Open Source, you are free to use it, distribute it, review it,
comment on it, modify it, and do pretty much anything with it apart from
claiming ownership of it or suing its developers.  The licensing terms
are here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/spambayes/spambayes/LICENSE.txt?rev=1.4

> RE: WHICH? Magazine PRE-PUBLICATION CHECK: Anti-virus software

SpamBayes is an anti-spam tool, not an anti-virus tool.  It is of some
use defending against email-bourne viri, but it's not designed as an
anti-virus tool.

> I am sending you a set of checking sheets for Which? Magazine.

These are in an Excel file, which I don't want to open precisely because
of the possibility of viruses...  Could you send a plain-text version?

> It would also be helpful if you would complete, sign and return this
> information to us no later than Tuesday 4 January 2005.

Because SpamBayes is developed by volunteers, who are distributed around
the world, it has no central management and all communication is
electronic.  If it's vitally important that you have a signature, I can
sign on behalf of the development team (if no-one has any objections)
but we prefer to work over email.  As I explained above, that shouldn't
present any problems.

Thanks for your interest,

--
Richie Hindle