[spambayes-dev] Automatically generated bug reports from sb_server

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 09:31:46 EST 2004

Tony Meyer wrote:
> Should the user have to enter a subject themselves?  I worry that
> there will be too many "Problem with POP3 Proxy" messages, and it'll
> be confusing to keep track of threads.

We could set the subject to something like
    "POP3 Proxy Problem: <problem summary here>"
That *might* encourage people to change the subject, and we'll be able
to see very quickly if people aren't paying any attention to it.

> Would it be better to just open up a link to the sourceforge bug
> tracking system (they're in a web browser, after all)?  Or offer
> both, but suggest one more strongly?

One of the problems we have consistently is people not providing enough
information about their problem.  IIRC, one of the purposes for doing
the bug report feature was to give users a template that would encourage
them to provide the necessary info.  I don't think pointing them
directly at SourceForge would do that unless there is some way to
automatically add some template headings when opening the page.

Is there any possibility of providing them a form to fill in through the
sb_server UI and then submitting that info directly as a SourceForge bug
instead of emailing it to the list?  I think most of us subscribe to the
spambayes-bugs list anyway, so we would still get e-mail notification.

> Any other comments, based on the ones that have arrived so far?

Sorry, I haven't looked closely enough at the feature or the reports
received so far to provide any more input.  I do bring up the proxy from
time to time, and I'll try to remember to look at this more.

--
Kenny Pitt