[spambayes-dev] Strange performancedipandDBRunRecoveryErrorretreat

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 09:36:40 EST 2004

Tony Meyer wrote:
> [Tony]
>> Maybe this is one of the causes for the RUNRECOVERY errors - the user
>> doesn't close sb_server properly, so the db isn't properly
>> closed/saved.
>
> [Tim]
>> I think you may be on to something here!
>
> [Richie]
>> Sadly not.  sb_server saves the db after ever train as well,
>> out of paranoia.
>
> [snip]
>
> Looks like it's back to some other cause of the RunRecovery errors,
> then. That you're able to do 250,000 messages without one, though,
> suggests that it's not something that 'just happens' as part of
> regular bsddb usage (unless it's something that happens every x days,
> or something hideous like that).
>
> Hopefully someone else can provoke the hammer.py script to fail; I'm
> out of ideas.

I wrote a slightly different test script to pound BerkelyDB directly
without going through any SpamBayes code.  It opens the database using
hashopen() and shelve.Shelf() just like SpamBayes does.  It then sits in
a loop and updates the value of one of 10 random keys with a tuple that
contains a string process id passed on the command line and the current
date/time, and then does a sync().  The use of only 10 keys is intended
to produce as much contention as possible.  After the update/sync, 10%
of the time it will close and re-open the database, and 10% of the time
it will re-open the database *without* closing.  It's pretty simplistic,
but I've attached a copy in case anyone wants to review it or try it
out.

I ran the script in 5 simultaneous processes over the weekend.  Each
process reached approx 400,000 iterations, but then all 5 processes
crashed (with a Windows fault, not a traceback) and the database now
appears to be corrupt.  When I try to restart the test script, I get a
"memory could not be read" fault.  Oddly, it sometimes gets through 5 or
10 iterations before dying, so maybe only certain records are corrupt.

I'm going to investigate the state of the database file further using
the Berkeley utilities.  I'll report back if I uncover anything
interesting.

--
Kenny Pitt