[spambayes-dev] Another incremental training idea...

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 14 06:29:11 EST 2004

    Seth> I suggest calling it one-edge.  It doesn't give me a particularly
    Seth> good feeling to train on all ham but only non-edge spam, but maybe
    Seth> the 1:1 training ratio will allow it to perform despite the
    Seth> unsatisfying way the balance is achieved?

I think the dissatisfaction comes in part from the rather arbitrary choice
that a message which scores 0.00 or 0.80 is somehow more important to the
overall results than one which scores 0.98.  It does seem a bit arbitrary,
but the system seems to suggest we need to be slaves to balance and that's
one way to get it.  You could throw out spams using some other criteria.
Two that come to mind are by age or random choice.

Skip