[spambayes-dev] Another incremental training idea...

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jan 14 08:09:33 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 06:22, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     >> So you don't train on unsures?
>
>     Barry> Oh sorry, yes I do move unsure to my ham or spam train folders as
>     Barry> I deal with them.  Those numbers are going down (and now skew
>     Barry> heavily toward spam) as I've started to train on both the wrapped
>     Barry> and unwrapped spam messages (wrapped as ham, unwrapped as spam).
>
> There's another new term (at least to me).  What do "wrapped" and
> "unwrapped" mean?  I'm going to guess that "wrapped spam" is a false
> negative and "unwrapped spam" is a correctly scored spam, but the connection
> between what the terms (apparently) mean and choice of "wrapped" to describe
> that meaning escapes me.

Ah sorry.  Anyone who's been a Mailman admin knows that you get
notifications when messages are held for approval or when they are
auto-discarded.  Mailman includes the original message as an attachment
to the notification.  It's that attachment-in-a-notification that I'm
calling a wrapped spam.  An unwrapped spam might be the same original
message that makes it through to the list, or you get directly.  Wrapped
spams are very spammy but they are actually ham because of the
notification part.

-Barry