[spambayes-dev] Another incremental training idea...

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 15:40:34 EST 2004

[Tim Peters]
>> Alas(?!), I'm getting a lot less spam than I used to -- since
>> Christmas Eve of 2003 (when I started saving all my email), I've only
>> gotten 1834 of the beasties, less than 100 per day.  It used to be
>> well over 200 a day.

More about that:  at least 6 distinct email addresses for me end up in my
inbox, via 3 distinct POP3 accounts.  The reduction is spam appears purely
due to my MSN dialup account, which, until recently, appeared to do nothing
to inhibit spam or viruses.  Now it's doing a remarkably good job, and in
fact better than my other two accounts.

Those with Hotmail accounts may have noticed something similar over the past
couple months (I have a Hotmail account too, which I *don't* use with
spambayes, and the number of spam showing up there has dropped by more than
a factor 10 over the (approximately) last month).

[Eli Stevens (WG.c)]
> I've 540 spam on my personal account since June, 2002 and 365 since
> May 2003 on my list subscription account.  Until recently, it was
> _highly_ repetitive - I suspect my corpus is atypical for people
> inclined to do test runs (hence my interest).

That's appreciated!  All email mixes are important to someone <wink>.