[spambayes-dev] Version numbering (was: beta release time?)

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Jan 19 22:25:25 EST 2004

> Tony Meyer wrote:
> >> If people have bugs/features they
> >> want fixed/added before then, can we assemble a list?
> >
> >  * The Version.py stuff (Mark was going to do this at some point).
>
> I think I was the first to suggest this, so I'd be happy to make the
> changes now that I'm on the developer list.  However, I'll need input
> about what you guys are looking for in a versioning scheme.

No one knows :)  My intent was so keep separate versons for different
applications.  I expected that more apps would start to appear - eg, the
notes filter etc would get more attention.  This hasn't happened, and I
don't see it happening.

Now we are (still slowly) moving towards a single Windows binary for all
"stable" apps, it is largely moot.  A single "version dictionary", for all
apps would probably do.  There are only a few places that use this version
information, so we could just update them, rather than trying to maintain a
b/w compat interface.  It *will* be necessary to maintain a couple of
entries so existing users doing a version check see the correct thing.

The only other thing is to remove/update the __init__ file which has a
duplicate version number, and any other references to version numbers you
can find :)

Mark.