[spambayes-dev] Fwd: [Spambayes] SpamBayes: sponsorship accepted!

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 00:31:10 EST 2004

[Tim Stone]
> Ok, guys, this showed up on the spambayes list.  These guys WANT to
> send us money... but it's checques.

I advise caution on this.  The only thing a Google search turns up about the
I3T Award for Software Excellence is that it's been mentioned twice in the
spambayes archives.  That makes it arguably less flattering than, say, a
Nobel Prize.

I'm not clear on motivations, either.  Yes, they say they'll send us funds,
but that's contingent upon our first putting up a link to their site, and
then someone has to click on that link and pay *them* $99 first.  So, on the
face of it, it seems no more or less than that a company is offering to pay
us a modest 20% commission on click-throughs to their site that result in
sales for them.  If that's what we want, we could get a better deal from a
porn site <wink>.

Now maybe they're wonderful people and this is a thoroughly legit deal.  I
don't know -- information about I3T seems hard to come by.  But for that
reason also, I'd be opposed to putting their link on our site:  I don't want
to lend the reputation of our project to an organization we know nothing
about.

> We're gonna have to manage this kind of thing.  Since I've not
> contributed much other than opinions for a while now, I'll be
> glad to administer this kind of thing, if that's good with everyone.

That's cool, and appreciated, keeping in mind that everyone working on a
spam project should have an overactive sense of skepticism.