[spambayes-dev] Exposing experimental options

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 26 17:12:31 EST 2004

[Skip, 6/1/04 in check-in message]
> (Are ImapUI.py and ProxyUI.py supposed to be so different in
> the advanced options they expose?

For the most part, yes.  The main difference is that there are a *lot* of
options (many are fairly new) for controlling the look/behaviour of the
review page, which imapfilter doesn't have.  The only options ImapUI.py was
missing were a couple of newish ones for controlling access to the web
interface; I've checked in a change so that these are available.

> Should x- options *not* be exposed?)

This is a good question, and one that we should probably figure out before
this upcoming release.  My instinctive response is that they shouldn't be,
because they are experimental, and so maybe not safe for people to use.
However, I do think that if we don't offer these anywhere then no-one will
use them and we'll still be in the dark (or maybe a dim light <wink>) when
we come to decide whether to dump them or not.  The 'advanced options'
configuration page in the web interface is fairly obviously a risky place to
play around with, I think.

Overall, I think:
 * If we offer any experimental options, we should offer them all.  (There's
code in TestToolsUI.py to automatically add any options that start with
"x-").
 * The options are probably stable enough in terms of operation that they
could be offered, although they may not necessarily improve the results that
people get.

Thoughts?