[spambayes-dev] saving attachments

Mark Hammond mhammond at keypoint.com.au
Mon Mar 15 19:10:03 EST 2004

> [Mark Hammond]
> > Note that another, possibly more sane way of approaching this would
> > be to manually synthesize tokens with the relelvant information.
>
> Unless we cut a special back door for Outlook, and propagate
> that throughout
> the code, the only thing the Outlook addin can deliver to the
> tokenizer is a
> vanilla email-package message, so the only info it can
> communicate must live
> in the email headers, the synthesized MIME armor, or the
> message body.

I was thinking of a custom tokenizer for the plugin, that simply delegated
everything to the real tokenizer, safe in the knowledge the mime related
tokens would never be generated.  We then just extend the set.  I can't see
any interface changes to the main engine are needed (said the blind man
<wink>)

> > ie, if it really is as simple as "is there an attachment?" (or even
> > tokens for the filenames/extensions),

Thanks for the info.  However, it also outlines my dilemma - it seems a
shame to limit what we feed the tokenizer based on the limitations of mime.
But I've always resisted my great ideas for making Outlook smarter, instead
hoping for an improvement in the test tools so these ideas can actually be
tested by more than one person.  I'm good at finding catch-22s for myself.

> Even better, just do it <wink>.

Yes, too true, and I will.  However, I will wait until post 1.0 - due to
both stability concerns, and my personal overload!

Mark.