[spambayes-dev] Open relay, and new release?

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Fri Mar 19 12:24:42 EST 2004

[Mark Hammond wrote]
> I have discovered the problem.  ActivePython is still registering the
> 'pythoncom' and 'pywintypes' module in the registry.  This is no longer
> necessary, for any version of Python.  Indeed, it is what is causing the
> problem - our binary still *does* look in the registry, as python23.dll
> itself does.
>
> The capability to register modules in the registry was a dumb one that I
> must take full credit for <wink>.  Trent - would it be possible for you to
> modify the ActivePython installer to not write these module values, now
> pywin32 no longer needs them?

Do you mean these ones?

    HKLM\Software\Python\PythonCore\{2.2|2.3}\Modules\...

If so, then yes I can change ActivePython to not write these. Note that
I won't have the bandwidth to get new ActivePython builds out very
quickly though.

> Unfortunately, we really can't simply ask people to upgrade
> ActivePython, as I believe even the latest writes this registry value.

It does.

> Further, an upgrade of an old ActivePython may leave it in place (recent
> pywin32 installers actually remove the values!)

Actually "upgrading" ActivePython involves uninstalling the old and
installing the new. The uninstall will remove those registry entries and
the install of the new (presuming the above changes) will not have them.

Let me know if those are the registry entries that you mean.

Cheers,
Trent

--
Trent Mick