[spambayes-dev] button ideas (oh boy)

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 15:03:08 EDT 2004

<http://sf.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=796129&group_id=61702&atid=
> 498106>
>
>> 2) In the Spam folder, there could be a second button for "Train As
>> Spam" for messages that have scores too far from 100%.
>> Pressing the button would train on the message as spam and keep it in
>> the Spam folder.
>
> If the button in 1) was added, it would make sense to add this,
> simply to keep the balance.
>
> This sounds like a reasonable idea, and I'm sure Mark would be ok
> with us adding these either post-1.0 or in a branch, and seeing what
> people thought of them.  I'll change the tracker (above) to be assigned
> to me, and try and whip up a patch for this at some point (i.e. not in
> the next couple of weeks).

We already have buttons to perform both training functions ("this is spam"
and "this is good"), but the current labels could be misleading if we
repurpose them.  Even now the labels can be confusing to some (e.g. "Delete
as Spam" doesn't really delete anything).  I suggest renaming the buttons to
more generic "Spam" and "Not Spam" (which also reduces the amount of space
used by the toolbar).

Keeping in mind that we can only train a given message once, we'll probably
still need to dynamically determine which buttons are available for each
message.  Disabling inappropriate buttons might be better than removing them
so that the toolbar isn't bouncing around as the user moves to different
messages in the folder.

I suggest the following rules for enabling the buttons.  These would be
based on the currently selected message, and would be the same regardless of
which folder the message is stored in.  The rules are for a single message,
and there may be issues if the user has selected multiple messages where
some have been trained and some haven't.

1.  If the message has never been trained, enable both the "Spam" and "Not
Spam" buttons.
2.  If the message was previously trained as good, enable the "Spam" button
and disable the "Not Spam" button.
3.  If the message was previously trained as spam, disable the "Spam" button
and enable the "Not Spam" button.

If I get a chance, I'll have a look at what it would take to check the state
each time the user changes the message selection.  I've considered trying
something like this several times, but just haven't gotten around to it.
I'm pretty slammed with the work that pays the bills right now, so Tony may
still beat me to it. <wink>

--
Kenny Pitt