[spambayes-dev] i18n revisited

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 23:29:28 CET 2004

Richie Hindle wrote:
> [Tony]
>> Richie might have ideas here, hopefully :)
>
> Yikes!  8-)  I know little about all this, never having had anything
> to do with gettext.
>
>> From what I can see of your attached .po file, Tony, that route looks
> like a nightmare for the translator.
>
> Hernán said "I was thinking something like opening a given
> i18n.ui.html in the corresponding language directory" and that sounds
> much more like it.

My gut instinct tells me that translating the .html file is the way to go.
This is where all the really beefy strings reside, and gettext() is more
oriented towards messages that are a sentence long or shorter.  It seems
kind of scary to think of gettext() doing a string match on a 2KB block of
text to find the contents of a static help page.

--
Kenny Pitt