[spambayes-dev] i18n revisited

Hernán Martínez Foffani hernan at orgmf.com.ar
Fri Nov 5 11:55:59 CET 2004

>> In my opinion gettext is more suitable to partition by
>> applications domains than logic ones.
>
> So we'll probably have (at first) one for all the Outlook
> scripts and one for sb_server?

That's an option.  But where are we going to put the common
strings (the ones in spambayes directory)?

A big and unique .po file we know will work.  But it would
be hard to mantain for translators without the right tools.

Alternatly we can generate several different .po files and
merge them later to a unique .mo file.  I rather not
demand translators to install the complete
GNU gettext package but I don't know if we could avoid that
(it has nice tools to compare .po files, etc.)  Anyway
I'm not urged on this at the moment.

For coders (our matter right now) we only need to know
which domain to use.  In the current version of i18n.py
the domain is set only there so in case we find that
that would lend us mess we may change it later.

-H.