[spambayes-dev] FAQ addition request

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Nov 23 01:11:32 CET 2004

> I currently have two suggestions for improvement in the
> documentation area:
>
> 	The first deals with the Outlook plugin FAQ.  The FAQ
> makes a big deal about SpamBayes being able to work with both
> POP3 and IMAP.  Now I used to be a Coder, still do some, but
> I am now a Network Designer/Engineer, so I understand what
> these do, at least at a high level.  But I've never stopped
> to think about what (potentially convoluted) protocol M$
> Outlook used to communicate with an Exchange server.  I still
> haven't cared enough to find out either.  But it is/was not
> clear to me that SpamBayes would work with an Exchange
> server.  Even with the terse "Yes" answer to that question.
> Given the amount of time spent on POP3 and IMAP
> possibilities, the FAQ should really treat this question
> better, or have the Windows overview page answer this a bit
> more authoritatively.

I don't understand what could be more authoritative that "yes".  "yes, it
does"?  "Yes, definitely"?  "Yes. Yes. Yes."? <0.5 wink>

[...]
> 	<explain how Outlook/Exchange communicate>  The
> SpamBayes Outlook plug-in simply watches the Inbox, and
> optionally others, for new mail and attempts to apply it's
> rule set to those messages.  Thus it doesn't attempt to get
> between Outlook and Exchange, so there is no problem working
> with the above discussed delivery mechanism."

I don't believe that this make it any more authoritative, but I'll add this
explanation.  Thanks for the contribution.

> 	My second suggestion is that, either in the FAQ or a
> new "anomaly" section, there needs to be an explanation of
> why "Undeliverable" messages are considered to be
> "unfilterable".

Please check FAQ 5.6 and see if that is a suitable explanation:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#i-get-an-error-message-no-filterable-messages
-are-selected>

=Tony.Meyer