[spambayes-dev] Is building with Python 2.4 and not Python 2.3 a bugfix?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 05:27:45 CET 2004

[Tony Meyer]
> I figure that there'll probably be a 1.0.2 (although maybe not a 1.0.3)
> before we get to a final 1.1 release.  By the time we're ready to do 1.0.2,
> Python 2.4 will be all done.
>
> There are various reasons why building the binary with Python 2.4 would be
> better than with Python 2.3, but the important one is that Python 2.4 has
> email 3.0.  This basically means the end of problems with malformed
> messages, which is still a reasonably common reported problem ("why am I
> getting this X-Spambayes-Exception header?").
>
> However, 1.0.2 is only for bugfixes, not for new features.
>
> So my question is: is building with the newer Python valid for a bugfix
> release?

It fixes bugs, right?  (like "the end of problems with malformed messages")

Micro releases of Python on Windows sometimes ship with new external
libraries too, e.g., to fix Tk bugs, or to plug zlib "security holes".

This seems much the same.  There's a small chance that 2.4 will
introduce a relevant bug, and then the decision to use it would look
imprudent.  In that case you'll be blamed.  But if all it does is
improve email handling, nobody will praise you.  So there's the moral
dilemma:  you can improve peoples' lives, or cover your ass.  Since
it's not my ass, I vote you expose it <wink>.