[spambayes-dev] button ideas (oh boy)

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 1 02:40:54 CEST 2004

[From a message way back in May]

[Kenny]
> We already have buttons to perform both training functions
> ("this is spam" and "this is good"), but the current labels could
> be misleading if we repurpose them.  Even now the labels can be
> confusing to some (e.g. "Delete as Spam" doesn't really delete
> anything).  I suggest renaming the buttons to more generic "Spam"
> and "Not Spam" (which also reduces the amount of space used by
> the toolbar).

Since this, there have been more instances of people getting confused by the
word "Delete" in "Delete as Spam".  I'm very much +1 on changing to "Spam"
and "Not Spam" to (a) reduce confusion, (b) gain space, and (c) allow them
to appear in all folders.

IIRC, this wouldn't take very much work - a couple of small code changes and
the various docs.  I think the name change is worthwhile for (a) and (b)
even if we don't go with (c).  This would be only on CVS head (i.e. 1.1),
obviously, not for 1.0.x.

Does anyone have any objections?  Otherwise I'll just go ahead and make
these changes (either Sunday or Monday).

> Keeping in mind that we can only train a given message once,
> we'll probably still need to dynamically determine which buttons
> are available for each message.  Disabling inappropriate buttons
> might be better than removing them so that the toolbar isn't
> bouncing around as the user moves to different messages in the
> folder.
[...]
> If I get a chance, I'll have a look at what it would take to
> check the state each time the user changes the message selection.
> I've considered trying something like this several times, but
> just haven't gotten around to it.

I'm still +0 on this (-0 if it's removing the buttons rather than
disabling).  However, if it really doesn't take much processing power and a
suitable rule for selection of multiple messages can be found, I have no
objections.

The problem, I guess, is that there is no feedback when clicking "Spam" in
the spam folder (etc), since the message doesn't move (although it would be
rescored, I think, so if you have the spam column, you'd might see a
change).  So maybe I will look into disabling, but Kenny can still beat me
to it... <wink>.

=Tony Meyer