[spambayes-dev] 1.0 Build Testing (please!)

Seth Goodman sethg at GoodmanAssociates.com
Wed Sep 29 08:43:01 CEST 2004

<...>

> There is no good solution here, because OE is so limited.  IIRC, you can
> filter on From:, To:, Subject: and the body, so we have to use
> one of those or the notation is useless.  To: and From: are arguably less
> intrusive than Subject:, so I like that we offer two options.  I doubt
> many people notate ham, so as long as there are no false positives (a
> reasonable assumption), and few unsure hams (likely for many people I
> think), then changing the To: doesn't hurt.

Looking at OE6, the filter conditions are:

cc:
To: or cc:
Subject:
body
priority
size
attachment
secure

The filter actions are similarly anemic:

delete
highlight w/color
flag
mark for download

> I wouldn't have a problem with changing it so that it matched whatever the
> RFC says (maybe classification at spambayes or something like that
> which is an invalid address, but valid formatting?).

If you  want that, the .invalid TLD is reserved in the RFC's as, well,
invalid.  I'm not sure exactly what it buys you, but
classification at spambayes.invalid is by definition not resolvable.  If you
created an address book entry for each classification 'address', I think OE
would display the name instead of the address.  That might be a reasonable
workaround for people stuck with OE.

--

Seth Goodman