[spambayes-dev] RE: MSVCR71.DLL

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Feb 3 22:33:43 CET 2005

> > I'm still trying to get my head around what to do with msvcr71.dll.
[...]
> Please, don't place it in windows\system32.

We won't.  If it is included, then it will be in the spambayes/bin directory
- as with 1.0.3.

> If Python installer does it, I think it's a bug if we follow
> http://tinyurl.com/q20a (second to last
> paragraph.)

Python needs it there (that text says that it should be avoided, not that it
is not permitted).  If you are interested, the reasons are outlined here:

<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-January/041721.html>
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-February/042384.html>

> IANAL neither but MSVCR71.DLL is included in the Redist.txt
> file (search for it in VS.NET distro.)

There's a thread about this on python-dev.  Subject to various conditions,
it is ok to distribute it if you have a copy of one of the (non-free)
Microsoft compilers.  The free compiler does not include distribution
permission.  I do not own any of the non-free Microsoft compilers (although
other SpamBayes developers do, so we can be distributing theirs).

> That file say nothing
> about restrictions on the distribution although I admit
> couldn't find the CLUF in my VS.NET installation to be
> completely sure.

The EULA for Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 is here:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/eula.aspx>

=Tony.Meyer