[spambayes-dev] web service

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jul 4 05:03:44 CEST 2005

> Can someone help me with a utility to export or convert
> the spambayes db to text?

See the sb_dbexpimp.py script in the source distribution.  It will convert a
SpamBayes token database in any of the supported forms to/from CSV.

> Not to step on anyone's pickle, but how about an option in
> spambayes to choose whether to use a db, or xml for storage.

We support pickle, various dbms, mysql, postgresql, and ZODB.  If you want
something else, then the code is pretty simple to write.  (See storage.py).

> Drive space is cheap, I wouldn't mind a larger database if
> it meant that I could parse it from another application
> (OS, etc.)

You can use any of the existing formats from other applications.  If you use
pickle, then that probably restricts you to programs written in Python
(although it's possible there's a C library to read Python's pickle format,
and you could do it via the Python source anyway).  For dbm, look at (e.g)
libdbm.  SQL is SQL.  You're more likely to use ZODB if you're using Python,
but again, you can use it from elsewhere.

> XML would make sharing the db a lot easier.  Just a thought.

XML would be hideous overkill for this sort of thing.
ount></token>" is excessively verbose.

=Tony.Meyer