[spambayes-dev] Posting problems

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Thu Aug 10 18:48:45 CEST 2006

Tony Meyer <tameyer at ihug.co.nz> writes:

>> [David Abrahams]
>>> Any idea why I'm not getting an answer?
>
> [Tim Peters]
>> Perhaps because you've become the leading expert on sb_imapfilter ;-)
>
> Or it could be because the wife of the previously leading expert on
> sb_imapfilter is due to have their first child any day now ;).  Those
> round tuits are pretty scarce here at the moment.

Understood.  Congratulations, though!

> sb_imapfilter has always been an unloved child.  Unlike most of the
> rest of the SpamBayes code, it's wasn't a scratching an itch, but
> shutting up people asking for it on spambayes at python.org.  Back then
> I had time to spare, so Tim Stone & I put it together - I didn't have
> an IMAP account at the time.
>
> I still dislike IMAP, so use POP for all my accounts,

I don't see POP as an option if I want server-side mail storage.

> so although I probably know the code better than anyone else
> (although it has been a while), I rarely exercise it.  I've put it
> up for adoption on spambayes-dev at various times, but no-one has
> taken up the offer.

I might be willing to be trained toward that end (there's lots I want
to do with IMAP and so it would be good to learn how), but I'm sure
not competent to do it right now.

> I'll try to take a look at your message & the problem this weekend.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

> I know that the code I added between 1.1a1 and 1.1a2 to both
> sb_server and sb_imapfilter to deal with the "changed database type
> causes a crash" bug wasn't as well designed as it should have been,
> and does cause the odd problem.  I plan to fix that as soon as I can.

Thanks again, Tony

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting