[spambayes-dev] FW: [Jocr-devels] redistribute gocr binaries?

Tony Meyer spambayes-dev at tangomu.com
Sun Mar 25 05:29:20 CEST 2007

[Whether the image cracking options should be on by default]
On 28/02/2007, at 2:15 AM, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> On 2007-02-27 13:59, skip at pobox.com wrote:
>> The image analysis code will still work if you enable the image
>> cracking
>> options but don't have the requisite ocr engine installed.  It
>> just emits a
>> message to standard error and returns.
>
> I'm not sure that is a good user interface: don't change anything
> to the
> code and you get a warning about a missing program.
>
> Would it be possible to have the default for using OCR to be off on
> all
> systems but Windows where gocr and/or ocrad is included?

For the Outlook plug-in, there's already the facility for this (a
bayescustomize.ini is installed by default with options that suited
Tim & Mark at the time it was created).  Certainly those users need
this the most - they are likely to be least able to enable the option
themselves, and there's no facility within the plug-in interface for
enabling options like this.

For other Windows users (sb_server, sb_imapfilter), there is a way to
enable options through the interface - at the moment, the OCR option
will be there in the experimental options page (automatically
includes all experimental options), and if this becomes non-
experimental then it can easily be added to the main options page.

Personally:

Make non-experimental: +1
Make default everywhere: -0
Off by default, turn on in Outlook bayescustomize.ini: +1

Alternatively, the warning could be wrapped in a 'if options
["globals", "verbose"]' block.

=Tony.Meyer