[spambayes-dev] Broken reference to oe_mailbox?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sun Jan 25 16:22:06 CET 2009

    Dave> I'm very grateful for everything that the SpamBayes project has
    Dave> done for me, but finding these two things today does make me
    Dave> wonder whether the procedure for checkins and/or testing could be
    Dave> improved.

At this point SpamBayes is a fairly large collection of separate
applications.  Most people use just one, the Outlook plugin.  Almost nobody
uses more than one.  Writing test cases to properly test the POP3 proxy,
IMAP filter and the Notes filter (should that simply be deleted?) would
require a fair amount of scaffolding.  At minimum you'd need stub
implementations of the various kinds of protocol servers.  The core
classifier should be fairly well-tested by the daily use it gets.  It was
easier to assume that bugs got squashed quickly when there were several
active developers who could operate from the Subversion repository.  With
basically just me as the lone person making any code changes and running
from Subversion there is much less likelihood of flushing out dumb bugs.

That said, I agree that SpamBayes needs some formal test framework.

Skip