[spambayes-dev] [Spambayes] If we don't get some more Windows help pretty soon...

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Wed Jun 29 15:30:06 CEST 2011

On 06/29/2011 6:08 AM, Erik Ohrnberger wrote:

> I gave up on spambayes.  It was letting too much spam through. At one
> time, it was batting 100, but I guess the spammers got smarter or
> something.
>
> I'm using a gmail account now forwarded to a private (secret) inbox
> that my outlook pulls down.

As spammers change tactics, there may be a small window where new spam
gets through, but that is quickly shut with a little training.
SpamBayes still gets 95+% of spam coming into our network - impressive
considering all the messages that only have an image embedded or contain
many lines of hidden, gibberish text.

Although it may be common knowledge here, I have never seen this
mentioned.  I tested sb_server on a Win7 Pro 64 bit system to see if it
functioned.  I can report the Windows1.1a6 binary installed and
functioned quite well.  If you want to run as a service you must do
"runas administrator" when loading the command prompt box for issuing
the "sb_service.exe -install" command; otherwise it is fairly standard.
The only issue I had was when configuring via the web interface.  It
would save any changes, but always complained with the following:

      500 Server error

Traceback (most recent call last):

   File "spambayes\Dibbler.pyo", line 476, in found_terminator

   File "spambayes\UserInterface.pyo", line 883, in onChangeopts

   File "spambayes\ProxyUI.pyo", line 569, in reReadOptions

   File "sb_server.pyo", line 981, in _recreateState

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'state' referenced before assignment

Messages like these could scare away the timid, but they do not seem to
hinder functionality.
So, individuals who insist on using Outlook, could use sb_server like
the rest of us, if SpamBayes is essential to them.

Please continue the project.

Dale