[spambayes-dev] Volunteer Opportunities

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Oct 25 17:35:31 CEST 2013

> I may be interested helping with your project, if there any opportunities I
> can tell you about myself.

Glad to have help. Our biggest stumbling block for the past several
years has been lack of help on the Windows side (creating installers
and debugging issues Windows users encounter). Pretty much everyone
who used to be active is off doing other things. A more practical
problem is that the ISPs do a better job these days of spam filtering,
leaving less for SpamBayes to munch on. I don't use SB myself these
days, as pobox.com and Gmail nab so much of it and tend to not have
many false positives.

Looking at the core classifier, I think the biggest need is to
investigate performance on non-ASCII character sets. SpamBayes is
explicitly disabled for a number of non-English mailing lists hosted
on mail.python.org. It might just be lack of Greek, Polish, etc
messages in the training database, but we won't know for sure without
some research. Python 3 support would be nice as well.

Still interested? :-)

Skip