[Spambayes] proposed changes to hammie & co.

Richie Hindle richie@entrian.com
Sun Dec 1 14:16:53 2002

[Tim Stone]
> I've taken a good swipe at creating a configuration application that the
> average user could use to make simple changes to the spambayes configuration.
> [...]
> It's html based, and it uses a subclass of SimpleHTTPServer, named
> SmarterHTTPServer.  (Sorry, Richie, I just couldn't figure out how to make the
> stuff in pop3proxy work for me...)

Your configurator looks great!  One of thing on my list of things to do is
to turn the HTML user interface code into a plugin-hosting library, so that
new components like this can be plugged into the user interface.  It's a
shame I didn't get round to doing this before you write your code - maybe
you and I can work together to design that API, and make your configurator
the first plugin?  I think we can combine my HTTP server code with your
'methlet' idea, and come up with something that works very well and makes
it easy to write further plugins.  When I have time, hopefully later today,
I'll write up the thoughts I have on it.

> I've embedded all the necessary html in the module itself, but this can really
> only be temporary.  We will inevitably accumulate html for little applications
> like this (e.g. pop3proxy), and more importantly, for documentation.  I think
> that the documentation standard for the project should be html.  The look and
> feel that Richie came up with for the pop3proxy works very well for me.  We
> need to decide how we're going to structure the directories for that kind of
> stuff.  May I propose the following:
>
> html
>    application
>        pop3proxy
>        optionConfig
>    doc
>    graphics

John Draper has said a similar thing - he wants to add to the HTML user
interface as well, and he wants administrators to be able to plug in their
own look and feel (by replacing images, stylesheets and so on).  This
structure looks good (we need to include stylesheets - maybe the 'graphics'
area could be called 'global' or something and include stylesheets,
javascript modules, and so on?)

--
Richie Hindle
richie@entrian.com