[Spambayes] proposed changes to hammie & co.

Tim Stone - Four Stones Expressions tim@fourstonesExpressions.com
Sun Dec 1 16:58:01 2002

12/1/2002 8:16:53 AM, Richie Hindle <richie@entrian.com> wrote:

>[Tim Stone]
>> I've taken a good swipe at creating a configuration application that the
>> average user could use to make simple changes to the spambayes
configuration.
>> [...]
>> It's html based, and it uses a subclass of SimpleHTTPServer, named
>> SmarterHTTPServer.  (Sorry, Richie, I just couldn't figure out how to make
the
>> stuff in pop3proxy work for me...)
>
>Your configurator looks great!  One of thing on my list of things to do is
>to turn the HTML user interface code into a plugin-hosting library, so that
>new components like this can be plugged into the user interface.  It's a
>shame I didn't get round to doing this before you write your code - maybe
>you and I can work together to design that API, and make your configurator
>the first plugin?  I think we can combine my HTTP server code with your
>'methlet' idea, and come up with something that works very well and makes
>it easy to write further plugins.  When I have time, hopefully later today,
>I'll write up the thoughts I have on it.

I'm not sure I understand why you're using asynchat and asyncore.  The
SimpleHTTPServer thingy needed a little tweaking, but it's capable of threaded

>> I've embedded all the necessary html in the module itself, but this can
really
>> only be temporary.  We will inevitably accumulate html for little
applications
>> like this (e.g. pop3proxy), and more importantly, for documentation.  I
think
>> that the documentation standard for the project should be html.  The look
and
>> feel that Richie came up with for the pop3proxy works very well for me.  We
>> need to decide how we're going to structure the directories for that kind
of
>> stuff.  May I propose the following:
>>

>John Draper has said a similar thing - he wants to add to the HTML user
>interface as well, and he wants administrators to be able to plug in their
>own look and feel (by replacing images, stylesheets and so on).  This
>structure looks good (we need to include stylesheets - maybe the 'graphics'
>area could be called 'global' or something and include stylesheets,
>javascript modules, and so on?)

I'm a bit of a stickler on subdirectory contents on websites, because you can
really get into a mishmash quickly.  I think that css and js files (in
particular) should be kept separately from graphic files should be kept
separately from html...

How about:
ui
   cgi-bin