[Spambayes] don't update if you don't want to retrain

Paul Moore lists@morpheus.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 23:04:25 2002

Richie Hindle <richie@entrian.com> writes:

> As far as I can see there's a complete solution available to these DBM
> problems.  Perhaps I've missed something, but I've been back over all the
> discussions and I can't see anything wrong with it:
>
>  o We demand bsddb 3 or better on platforms where bsddb is the dbm
>    implementation that gets picked up.  So until Python 2.3 is released,
>    Windows users need to install pybsddb.  I've just done this and it's
>    trivial.  (We already demand a new "email" library and no-one's
>    complained.)  Would this cause problems on any other platforms?

I'm all in favour of this. However, it's worth pointing out a couple
of things:

1. Email is pure python, bsddb is not only in C, but also needs a 3rd
   party library (Sleepycat DB). No problem on Windows (Python 2.3
   will come with it built in, and there's a trivial-to-install binary
   build for 2.2 users), but might it cause problems on Unix systems?
2. On Unix, as I understand it, it's possible to use the new Sleepycat
   DB with the old Python module. So Unix users quite possibly don't
   need to bother with bsddb 3.

The simple answer is to require bsddb 3 on Windows with Python 2.2,
and otherwise use it if present, otherwise use the built-in dbhash
(and assume that a suitably up to date Berkeley DB is behind it).

But as I said, I'm happy with your approach - I only offer this if
Unix users don't like the bsddb 3 requirement...

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank